Code Compliance FAQ's

Do I need a permit for my Shipping Container?

How do I resolve an easement dispute?

The County does not enforce easement disputes. These are personal legal matters and are resolved civilly. You may wish to contact an attorney for legal advice.

Does Code Compliance enforce overgrown vegetation?


While Code Compliance does not enforce overgrown vegetation, we recommend everyone keep their properties clear of anything that could be a fire hazard.  Contact your local fire department for tips on fire prevention. 


Is Cannabis Cultivation allowed in Calaveras County?


All outdoor and all commercial (indoor or outdoor) cannabis cultivation is now prohibited within the County. Code Enforcement is coordinating with the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), with the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board (CVRWQCB), with Fish and Wildlife, with the Sheriff’s Department, and with the public in general to enforce the cannabis ban (Chapter 17.95 of the County Code) and other provisions of the County Code.



Code Compliance will issue notices of violation, citations, and orders to abate to anyone cultivating cannabis in violation of Chapter 17.95 just like it does for any other violations of the County Code. Code Compliance will enforce Chapter 17.95 based upon complaints from the public, complaints from outside agencies, and evidence discovered through the County’s own investigations. CDFA and the CVRWQCB have reached out to Code Compliance so that enforcement activities can be coordinated between state and local authorities. The prioritization of enforcement actions will generally be guided by the severity of violations, the probability of environmental harm, the seriousness of risks to public health and safety posed by illegal cultivation sites, and upon the availability of personnel and resources.  


Site Remediation

The County Code and the State Water Board’s General Order require former cultivation sites be stabilized to prevent erosion and mitigate storm water and waste water runoff from former sites. Code Compliance will be working with the CVRWQCB to educate cultivators about their obligations in closing out their Notices of Applicability by filing a Notice of Termination (NOT) with the CVRWQCB. Remediation of unregistered cultivation sites will be accomplished through “as built” grading plans, building or demolition permits, and any other such measures as may be required by local and state law. The Code Compliance department will encourage voluntary compliance through education but, where necessary, will compel compliance with all provisions of the County Code and State law through enforcement actions.


Information regarding filing your Notice of Termination can be found here:



Who turned me in?

We receive complaints from a number of sources including internal referrals, outside agencies, and the general public. This information is kept confidential.


Can I remain anonymous?

We do not accept and will not investigate anonymous complaints.  However, your identity and information are kept strictly confidential.


Am I still responsible if the property was that way when I bought it?

Yes.  Once you purchase a property, you are responsible for any outstanding violations.


I received a Notice of Violation, now what?

A Notice of Violation is not a citation, and does not have any fines associated with it. You have until the date noted on the notice to correct the violation(s). The phone number of the Officer who issued the Notice of Violation is on the bottom of the notice. If you have questions about the notice, contact him/her.


How do I obtain a permit?

Contact the Building Department at (209) 754-6390.


How much will my permit cost?

Permit fees vary. Building Department staff will assist you in determining your cost.


What if I ignore the Notice of Violation?

Violations listed on the N.O.V. must be corrected by the date indicated on the notice. A re-inspection will be conducted after that date, and if the violations remain, a citation will be issued. If the violations have been corrected, the case will be closed.


How do I report a code violation?

You may make a complaint by filling out our Online Code Violation Compliant,  submit a Code Complaint Form at the Building Department, or by filling out the form and submitting it by email or fax to (209) 754-6328.  We do not accept complaints over the phone.



When are Cannabis Hearings?